Thursday, August 7, 2008

Debian Lenny frozen!

Debian Lenny (Debian 5.0) has been frozen, meaning automatic transition of new version of packages from the unstable branch (Debian Sid) has been stopped. So a stable release is near. The Debian mailing list puts is this way, "Lenny is still scheduled to be released in September 2008."

I am currently using Debian as a dual boot with Zenwalk on my desktop PC. Its Debian Testing (Lenny), so I am beginning to wonder, if I should just stay with Lenny since everything is just working perfectly, or should I upgrade to the latest Testing branch after Lenny becomes stable.
As for people using Debian Etch, there has been another upgrade, called "etch and a half", once again from the mailing list,

While this update mainly includes security fixes and fixes for severe bugs,the Debian project has for the first time also added support for newer hardware by adding new drivers with updated Linux kernel and X.org packages. The new drivers are optional and the old versions will still be supported.


Personally, I am of the opinion that Debian Stable packages gets too old for desktop usage, hence I use the Testing branch. However, this time around I am going to stick around with Lenny to see if Debian Stable gets too old too quickly. Now, if things work, then there shouldn't be a problem.

0 Comments: